- About Us
By joining the Y, I understand that I am coming together with others in the community who are committed to youth development, healthy living and social responsibility to make sure that everyone regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. All members are required to present a valid membership card for identification when using the YMCA facilities. Membership privileges and cards are not transferable, remain the property of the YMCA, and must be returned upon request. Membership in the YMCA continues indefinitely until written notice of cancellation is provided in person by the member or is canceled by the YMCA in accordance with policies and procedures. Terms and conditions of the YMCA membership are subject to change. I agree to abide by the current membership policies and procedures and the code of conduct, and agree to abide by the rules and policies of the YMCA, including any future changes approved by the governing bodies of the YMCA.
Use of the YMCA facilities and participation in sports, exercise or other physically demanding activities inherently exposes the participant to a certain degree of risk or personal injury, illness and other adverse medical consequences. The YMCA is not an insurer of a member’s life or personal safety. No member will engage in activities which require a level of physical fitness exceeding the member’s physical condition or abilities, as determined by the member. Every member assumes the risk of personal injury, illness, or other conditions arising out of or related to the member’s activities on YMCA premises and releases the YMCA, its directors, officers, agents, and employees from all claims, actions, or liability on account of such causes.
SANTA MARIA VALLEY YMCA POLICIES
The YMCA reserves the right to make changes to the rules and policies at any time.
Diversity statement: the Santa Maria Valley YMCA nurtures and supports an environment that reflects, respects and celebrates our differences, while embracing the richness of our diversity within our membership and staff. We strive to learn from all cultures to improve our programs and to ensure that people of all backgrounds and capabilities feel welcome to participate in rewarding activities that will strengthen and the health and vitality of the YMCA and the community we serve.
Code of conduct: the mission of the Santa Maria Valley YMCA to strengthen our community by improving the quality of life and inspiring individuals and families to develop their fullest potential through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. YMCA programming, youth sports, swim lessons and all other Y activities are all rooted our mission and the four core values of caring, responsibility, honesty, respect. As a YMCA member, we hope you will reflect on our four core values as well. We feel that these values will promote a positive character in our youth and adults and reflect the true spirit of our organization.
1) Non-refundability of dues: it is the YMCA's policy that once dues have been paid in full or via monthly draft, they are non-refundable. The one-time joiner fee is non-refundable.
2) Cancellation of membership one-time joiner fee is non-refundable. Payment annually: cannot be cancelled; no partial refund. Payment by monthly draft: may not be canceled until after we have drafted your account for 1 month. Your membership is cancelable upon submitted request via the member's online account page. The primary account holder may also email name, dob, and cancellation reason to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel. Email address must match records. It is solely the responsibility of the member to validate monthly bank statements to ensure drafts have been discontinued. The YMCA will not refund monthly membership dues beyond the effective cancellation date.
3) Placing membership on hold: a membership may be placed on hold for a 30-day calendar month (1st-last day) with no fees. No requests for a partial-month hold can be considered. A membership may be placed on hold for up to 3 months by paying a 1/3 payment of your membership dues. A membership hold may only exceed 30 days with no fees for a medical reason. A doctor's note must be provided at the time the membership is placed on hold. No membership may be placed on hold indefinitely. The member's monthly dues will resume once a hold has been lifted.
4) Returned payments: a $30 service fee will be charged for any financial institution return on check or electronic payment.
5) Membership identification cards: all members will utilize the card scanning system for member identification. All members will gain access to the YMCA using this scanning system. Members will be charged $2 to replace a lost identification card.
6) Membership types explained
youth: ages 13 and under student: must be full time adult: ages 18-61 couple: two people; ages: 0-61 senior: one adult age 62 or older sr. Couple: two adults, both age 62 or older family: no more than 2 adults 18 and over. No more than 5 children 18 and under per family.
7) Age restrictions dry sauna and steam room: may only be used by members 18 years of age or older. Outdoor spa: may be used by children 16 and over. Fitness machine room and free weight room: members ages 12-17 are allowed to utilize the equipment only after completing a youth exercise agreement with a parent/guardian. This form can be found at the front desk. No children, with or without supervision will be allowed in the fitness machine room and free weight room without first signing a youth exercise agreement. No exceptions to this rule.
8) Appropriate behavior: the Y implements four core values respect, responsibility, honesty and caring. Inappropriate behavior, abusive language, or criminal conduct of any type is unacceptable. Consequently, the YMCA retains the right, at its sole discretion, to deny membership to its applicants, to revoke a membership of any current member, or to refuse service to a YMCA guest.
9) Sex offender screenings: the YMCA conducts regular sex offender screenings on all members, participants, and guests. If a sex offender match occurs, the YMCA reserves the right to cancel membership, end program participation, and remove visitation access.
10) Alcohol /smoking/ drug policy: using, possessing or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs, including marijuana or any substance containing THC, cannabis or similar substance (whether or not legal under California law) in or outside of YMCA facilities or programs or on YMCA property is prohibited at all times. Smoking or vaping any substance (whether or not legal under California law) in or outside of YMCA facilities or programs or on YMCA property is prohibited at all times. Smoking is defined as the "act of lighting, smoking or carrying a lighted or smoldering cigar, cigarette or pipe of any kind." vaping refers to the use of electronic nicotine delivery systems or electronic smoking devices, such as e-cigarettes, e-pipes, e-hookahs and e-cigars.
11) Weapons: bringing dangerous or unauthorized materials, such as explosives, firearms, weapons, guns, knives or sharp objects, hazardous materials or other similar items, into a YMCA facility or onto YMCA property is strictly prohibited. This includes items that appear to be real.
12) Photograph permission: I give permission for the YMCA to use, without limitation obligation, photographs, video footage which may include the image or voice of all persons on my membership for purposes of promoting or interpreting YMCA programs.
13) Proper attire: all members and guests are expected to wear appropriate attire when using the facility. Shoes, shirts, and bottoms must be worn at all times in all areas outside the locker rooms and pool. Only athletic shoes with non-marking soles are permitted in the gym and court areas. Jeans and pants with rivets are not allowed.
14) Pool rules: members must actively swim laps for exercise and fitness during lap swim hours. The lifeguard has the option to correct any situation that may be, in their opinion, unsafe or objectionable. For the entire listing of pool rules see the lifeguard or read the displayed rules located on the pool deck. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
15) Closing for maintenance: the YMCA reserves the right to close the facility at various times during the year for maintenance. When closing the facility we will make every effort to provide prior notification to our members.
16) Food and beverage: food and beverages are only permitted in marked areas. Absolutely no glass bottles anywhere but in the vending machine areas. Only water in plastic bottles or medal water bottles are allowed in workout areas.
17) Lockers: both day use and rentals are available. Rentals are $10/month and require a registration form at the front desk. For day use lockers, members should bring their own lock and remove it from the locker when leaving. Locks left on day use lockers will be cut off and contents will be removed. Video recording, photos and/or chat are not allowed in the locker room.
18) Equipment: basketballs, racquets: these items may be checked out at the front desk free of charge. If you check the equipment out, we ask that you leave collateral in place of that item. When you return the item to the service desk, your collateral will be returned to you.
19) Racquetball: courts may be reserved by members one day in advance. Reservations will be forfeited if the member is not at the court within 10 minutes of start time. When playing racquetball, eye-guards are recommended.
20) Nationwide membership
YMCA members have the privilege of using other YMCAs when traveling nationally. When visiting other YMCAs present a valid membership card and photo id.
21) Guest passes: all memberships are eligible to receive three (3) courtesy one time use guest passes per calendar year. The member must accompany the guest when using the facility. The guest must have a photo i.d. if 18 and over. If 17 or younger, guest must have a parent or legal guardian present to sign liability form.
22) Lost or stolen items: the YMCA is not responsible for any personal items lost or stolen while at the YMCA. A lost and found area is maintained at the service desk. Lost and found are not kept longer than 30 days. Members are encouraged to turn in any personal items found in the building or on the premises.